Community Futures offers one-on-one support at no cost to you. We encourage you to call us about your business idea.
In this section you will also find tools and resources that can help you plan, launch or sell your business.
Are you an entrepreneur?
These resources can help decide if self-employment is right for you.
Starting a business can be a daunting task… but Community Futures Mount Waddington is here to support you. We encourage you to come and talk to us about your business idea!
ONE STOP BUSINESS REGISTRATION
If you are starting a new business, you can use the provincial government’s OneStop Business Registration service to register it. This service was developed by the BC government and enables a business to register with multiple public sector agencies and local government in one step without having to duplicate processes.
THIS SERVICE CAN BE USED BY:
- Sole Proprietorships
- Incorporated Societies
YOU CAN USE THIS SERVICE TO:
- Instantly register your sole proprietorship or general partnership with the BC Corporate Registry (Note: This registration requires pre-approval of your business name. Forms can be obtained at Community Futures or the Government Agent Office).
- Register as a vendor for the provincial sales tax with the BC Consumer Taxation Branch.
- Register as an employer with the Workers’ Compensation Board of BC.
- Apply for personal optional protection with Workers’ Compensation Board of BC.
- Apply for a business number account with the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency for HST, payroll deductions, corporate income tax, and import/export account.
- Apply for one or more municipal business licenses with participating municipalities
- Click the OneStop Business Registration button to get started!
We at Community Futures recognize the importance of succession planning – of the need for services and resources for business owners wanting to retire from their business. That is why we partnered with 5 other Community Futures offices to form a company called Venture Connect.
Many business owners are approaching the age of retirement. Over the next 10 years there will be many existing businesses up for sale. The challenge will be finding willing entrepreneurs to buy these businesses. Without willing buyers many of these businesses will close and this will have an impact on employment, economic output, business formation and the availability of services in our region.
This situation represents a great opportunity for new entrepreneurs to buy a business that has a proven track record.
Venture Connect brings sellers and buyers together. Contact them today to discuss business opportunities in your community.
- Government Links
Western Economic Diversification
Canada Revenue Agency
Canada Revenue Agency > Videos and Recorded Webinars for Business
Registrar of Companies
Public Works and Government Services Canada
Canadian Trade Commissioner Service
Canada Business Network
Community Information Database
Canadian CED Network
Government Grants and Financing
All Nations Trust Company
Aboriginal Business Services Network
Aboriginal and Northern Affairs Canada
Small Business BC
BC Ministry of Jobs, Trade and Technology
BC Provincial Sales Tax
BC Labour Standards
Resource Centre for Small Business
- Small Business Links
- Local Links
My Vancouver Island North
Regional District of Mount Waddington
Town of Port McNeil
District of Port Hardy
Village of Port Alice
Village of Alert Bay
Village of Sointula
Village of Zeballos
Vancouver Island North Tourism
School District No. 85
North Island College
Port Hardy Chamber of Commerce
Port McNeill Chamber of Commerce
North Island Employment Foundations Society